Using CBD for joint pain is an effective and natural way to soothe your body. CBD topicals soak deep into the joints and provide instant and lasting relief, and since CBD replenishes the endocannabinoid system, it can even stop joint pain with regular use. We recommend using organic or home grown herbs and full-spectrum, whole-plant CBD / CBG extract. Full-spectrum, whole-plant extracts are the most effective type of hemp extract because they work the way nature intended. They preserve all the plant’s original terpenes, chlorophyll, plant compounds, and cannabinoids to contribute to the healing process.
Compare this to distillates and isolates. Distillates and isolates strip away the plant compounds and chlorophyll, remove the original terpenes and replace them with foreign terpenes bought from other sources, and fragment the plant’s natural spectrum of cannabinoids. While distillates and isolates still provide relief to some people, many others report no effect whatsoever with them. Hundreds of people have tried FlowerChild whole-plant products after trying distillates/isolates from other companies and were blown away at how much better FlowerChild works. Whole-plant, full-spectrum extracts are vastly more effective for a much larger percentage of people, and you might as well give your body the best tools available.
CBD for Joint Pain in a Ready-made Salve
If you’d like to buy a CBD salve that is already made, you can browse our collection here. We have CBD and CBG salves and even salves that contain half of each cannabinoid. There are a variety of strengths to choose from to best suit your needs.
Recipe for CBD Healing Topical:
If you prefer to make your own CBD salve, you’re in luck! Check out the recipe below. Specially formulated to help with achy joints, this recipe is quite a gem. With it, you can invoke the full power of CBD for joint pain and experience deep and lasting relief.
- ¾ cup arnica flowers
- ⅓ cup st. john’s wort
- ¼ cup each of ginger root, comfrey leaf, peppermint leaf, and cayenne powder
- 5 grams full spectrum hemp extract
- 4 cups carrier oil (grapeseed, olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, or a combination)
- ¼ – ½ cup optional beeswax or carnauba wax (to solidify mixture)
- Combine all herbs/spices in a fine mesh bag or cheesecloth. This step is not necessary but makes straining the oil much easier.
- For a quick infusion, put the mesh bag filled with the herbs in a pot and cover it with the carrier oil. Let sit at a very low temp (~110ºF) for six hours or more, occasionally dunking the herbs.
- For a slower infusion, put all the herbs in a mason jar and then cover with oil. Let the jar containing the mixture sit in the sun for at least two weeks, shaking it occasionally.
- Once your oil is infused, remove the cheesecloth and, wearing gloves, strain the herbs from the oil. Be sure to squeeze out the bag well to ensure you get every last bit of oil from the cheesecloth.
- While the oil is still warm (you may need to warm it if you’ve infused using the second method), slowly mix in the CBD/CBG extract, stirring constantly.
- The oil can now be used as is, or beeswax/carnauba wax can be added to harden it to your preferred consistency. For best results, add the wax before the extract, as the beeswax/carnauba only melt at slightly higher temperatures (around 200º F). Slowly add the wax to your mixture and test a small portion on a utensil; if it starts to solidify and becomes thick, you’re probably at a good consistency. You can allow it to harden completely in the fridge/freezer and then test the consistency once it has reached room temperature again.
- Once the preferred consistency is reached, pour the salve into jars and let it cool/harden.
- Rub into sore joints, achy muscles, etc.
The amount of hemp extract added will determine how many mgs of extract are in each ounce of liquid. Adding 5 grams of extract to 4 cups of liquid (32 fl oz) will make each oz of salve about 110mg. When putting into 2 oz containers, the recipe will make approximately 16 jars with 220 mgs of hemp extract each. To achieve a stronger salve, add more extract or cut the recipe down by using less oil.
Have fun making your own lovely hemp topicals, and don’t forget to check out our selection of premium CBD and CBG tinctures to go along with your healing salve. By using a topical as well as taking CBD internally, you help your body heal from the inside out and the outside in. Happy healing!