Guided meditation can also be referred to as hypnosis….
Some people fear the word “hypnosis” because they liken it to mind-control. While it is about reprogramming your mind, don’t freak out. Your conscious mind is still in control. It’s about directing your conscious mind to reprogram your subconscious in order to experience positive benefits.
What is Hypnosis?
- Hypnosis is a type of meditation that includes images and affirmations — it’s a deep, guided meditation.
- Deep meditation is characterized by a relaxed state of mind where your conscious, rational mind takes a step back and the subconscious, creative mind steps forward. The conscious mind gets drowsy, but the subconscious never sleeps. Hypnosis is a trance state that exists between full wakefulness and being asleep.
- You are always in control while in this trance state and can open your eyes at any moment you choose.
- Have you ever driven from one part of town to the other to find that when you got to your destination, you barely remembered driving? This automatic driving occurs when we trance out of the conscious mind and into the subconscious. It’s not a good idea to let this happen while driving, of course, but the point is that we all go in and out of altered states all day long — some call it daydreaming. Hypnosis is simply about entering that altered state on purpose with a goal to improve your life.
What Hypnosis is Not
- Therapeutic hypnosis is not like what you see in the movies or in stage hypnotist shows. It is not where someone hypnotizes you and takes over your mind. You are in complete control at all times.
- It is not a truth serum. You will not divulge any information that you do not want to divulge or share any secrets.
- If will not let you do things outside your moral code.
- You cannot surrender your will, as your ego (your sense of “I”) is never completely disassociated.
- You cannot get stuck in hypnosis.
- You cannot get brainwashed.
Conscious and Subconscious Minds
Your subconscious is what runs your body, all of your organs, your breathing, heart beat, respiration etc. The subconscious mind never sleeps and is constantly active. The subconscious takes all of its orders from the conscious mind and installs all information, whether or not the belief/thought you are feeding it is true. It believes what the conscious mind says and it goes to work to make it happen. For example, imagine a huge steam ship. The captain is up top giving the orders and the people below the deck in the engine room are hard at work taking those commands and making the ship move forward. They have no idea what is happening above the deck, they are just doing what they are told. The conscious mind is the captain, and the subconscious mind is the crew that just does what the captain says to do.
If the conscious mind believes something to be true and conveys this to the subconscious, the subconscious will do everything in its power to make it happen. This is how limiting beliefs are embedded within us.
A belief you have about yourself will create your behavior, which in turn will create the outcome of your life. Here’s an example. As a hypnotherapist I saw many people who came to me wanting to lose weight, and one particular lady still stands out to me today. As a small child she was a normal kid with average weight, but at the age of 5 her grandmother casually told her that she was big boned like her uncle. This poor child immediately looked down at her body and imagined her big uncle Harry with his big belly and loud laugh. This belief became her reality and she was never an average weight again.
So many people are suffering with health issues because of limiting beliefs. These false beliefs convince people that they are not good enough, they don’t deserve to be healthy, they are not worthy, and so on. Why do we think that we have to suffer? Our natural state is to be healthy and our bodies are designed to heal us. What belief are you holding onto that says you cannot be healthy and happy?
How Does Hypnosis Work?
We have these limiting beliefs stuck in our subconscious, and in order to start living the life we desire we need to get the false beliefs out. We do this by reprogramming the subconscious through hypnosis. We have to put the conscious mind into a very relaxed and sleepy state so that it cannot argue or judge the new programming. Once the person is in a relaxed and drowsy state, the therapist or audio program will begin to give the person positive affirmations and visual imagery that will help reprogram the subconscious mind. The subconscious is the seat of your imagination and it loves images. The key to imagining is to do it with feeling and emotion, as this helps change those limiting beliefs much quicker.
Is It For Me?
Hypnosis is perfectly safe and you will feel relaxed and rejuvenated after your session. It is also progressive and accumulative, so the more you listen to the recording, the more those affirmations will sink deep into your subconscious mind and change your programming. Give it a try— I’m sure you will be surprised at the magic you can create with the power of your mind!
Kelly McLoughlin, Co-owner of FlowerChild is a certified Clinical Hypnotherapist.